New Year's Special, part 2: Here we go, 2012!
I hope so. I hit two parties and had fun at both. Didn't drink ('cept for a bit of bubbly at midnight) and got to bed at a reasonable hour. Very nice, and sane.
Just like thousands, if not millions of people all over the world, I can dig the idea of starting the new year resolving to make things a bit better. No major punishment if I don't get to them all, but a treat if I do.
The major theme is that I want to be able to bring to mind as often as I can just how lucky I am. To this end, I got myself a little boxing week sale treat to remind me when I look in the mirror. It's this.
But how about more tangible goals? Here they are:
Good human goals:
* Bring glass storage jars to the food co-op every time I run out of bulk foods (instead of taking plastic bags home and then refilling the jars). I watched No Impact Man today, which was my inspiration for this.
* Buy something for the food bank box every time I'm in a grocery store that has a collection box. If you're in Toronto and want to know where your local drop-off points are, check here.
* Eat from my pantry - having a good sense of what I already have and can use before going food shopping.
* Budget enough time so I can stop being late for meeting people.
* Work to default to compassion/patience/understanding/flexibility for all.
* Get curious before judging.
* Stay off refined sugar and alcohol for as long as I can stand it. Do this at the start of each new season, too.
* Take an iron supplement (or nettle tea with lemon) everyday for the 2 weeks before my period's due.
* Don't watch teevee that inherently doesn't jive with my values.
* Resist bringing the laptop into bed at night.
* Wipe off eye makeup before bed, no matter how tired I am.
* See my toes above my head in dhanurasana (bow pose). (I'm already better than the drawing here is, by the way.)
* Laugh lots.
* Finish this current king-size blue quilt.
* Become better friends with a serger (get comfortable with loading it, troubleshooting, make some things).
* Make a sundress.
* Take a road trip to Ottawa to visit Crystal's new babe, and Heather while she's pregnant.
* Get outta town on a plane at some point when school's out.
Do you think it sounds doable? I sure hope so.
Now, would you be willing to share some of your resolutions with me?